Do you forget things? Do you feel that your memory is not as sharp as it used to be? Could you plan your own surprise party?
There are some foods that you can add to your diet to enhance your working memory.
These are the top 12 foods to enhance memory -
- Oily fish – such as salmon and tuna that contain omega-3 fatty acid and DHA (important for the normal function of neurons). Try eating fish three times a week and you can also take a fish oil supplement to help boost memory.
- Eggs – are a rich source of choline that assist with memory function. They are easy to include in your diet but don’t overuse them as they also contain dietary cholesterol. Consume in moderation.
- Beetroot – freshly cooked beetroot is so simple! Plus, they can improve your focus and concentration. Nitrates in beetroots improve blood flow throughout the body, important for brain and body function.
- Walnuts – are also a great source of omega-3 and contain anti-oxidants that protect the brain from free radicals and boost the function of neurotransmitters, increasing memory and cognitive skills.
- Turkey – is a lean meat and great to include in your diet. It contains an amino acid that helps the brain to produce dopamine, which contributes to mental alertness and memory. (So does chocolate!)
- Olive oil – is rich in anti-oxidants and has been shown to improve learning and memory. You can add to your diet by using olive oil based dressings with your salads.
- Green leafy vegetables – such as spinach, broccoli and kale. These are a great source of folate that contribute to protecting the brain.
- Avocado – a rich source of anti-oxidant vitamin E. Fantastic with any meal. Again, consume in moderation.
- Red wine – in moderation – sorry but a bottle won’t be good for you! Okay, I know it’s not considered food but I thought you might like to know that it’s beneficial! It has been considered to help reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. It contains a flavonoid that boosts blood flow to the brain. You could also drink cranberry juice for a non-alcoholic drink.
- Berries – strawberries and blueberries help protect against age-related memory loss.
- Green tea – contains powerful anti-oxidants and with regular consumption it can slow down the aging process and enhance memory and alertness.
- Rosemary – is considered a symbol of remembrance this is because it is associated with memory enhancement.
Exercise is also said to keep the brain healthy as well as the body, so there are no surprises here…again, it’s all about keeping balance in your life. Healthy foods, moderation, keeping active and exercise! Oh, and a good diary reminder app!